Hydrogen peroxide—No Mommy, it will sting!

That’s what I thought was the only use for hydrogen peroxide (as a wound disinfectant), but just lately I have read on Facebook and found lists on the web for uses of hydrogen peroxide that are mind blowing, safe and great!  Hydrogen peroxide is found in every living material.  It is basically the same chemical as water but with an extra oxygen atom (H2O2).   Because of this, hydrogen peroxide breaks down quickly and harmlessly into oxygen and water. Did you know your own white blood cells make H2O2 to fight infections and bacteria and Mother’s first milk contains massive doses of H2O2 which boosts a baby’s immune system.

I bet you did not know that hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dish soap will de-skunk your dog very, very well.  My daughter’s dog got skunked last week.  He thought to get that black and white cat out of his yard.  She rushed to the web and found this recipe to de-skunk her dog.

“Combine 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup baking soda, 1 teaspoon Dawn dish soap in 2 quarts warm water.”  The Dawn is the ingredient that gets at the oil in the skunks spray.  When you can get at the oil, it helps get at the smell. Other smells that are eliminated by using hydrogen peroxide and vinegar are the musty smells in your towels or other laundry.  To whiten or add cleaning power to your wash add 2 oz. to your wash load.

Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar are a better disinfectant than bleach. Read on:

“Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of 3% Hydrogen peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other disinfectants will. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour or spray hydrogen peroxide (and then vinegar) on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.”

Combination of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide make a cheap, effective and non-toxic disinfectant agent and is said to be more effective at killing pathogens than bleach.  As it is non-toxic, you can use it to disinfect fruits and vegetables, as well as pet toys, equipment and cages.  In tests run at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pairing Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide mistskills virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, or E. coli bacteria on heavily contaminated food and surfaces.”

Directions are:

You need two spray bottles.  DO NOT MIX together.  Put straight vinegar in one bottle and straight hydrogen peroxide in the other.  Also, H2O2 evaporates quickly so keep in a dark bottle or find a spray head to screw on the top of the original hydrogen peroxide bottle.  To sanitize, spray one then the other and wipe down the surface.  For the brief time they combine together, they create a powerful sanitizer.  This is a cheap, non-toxic way to kill those viruses and bacteria without using bleach or expensive toxic formulas that are not good for you.  You do not even have to rinse.  Remember that you have to have already have the surface clean to use the sanitizer. 

To clean fruit and vegetables, fill a sink with cold water and add ¼ a cup of H2O2.  After washing, rinse with cold water.

These are only a few of the uses of H2O2.  On the websites below there are many, many more uses such as mouthwash, toothpaste, cleaning your toothbrush, whiten your bathtub grout, whiten your lace curtains, tablecloths or blouses.  Rid your clothes of stains, brighten your dingy floors, clean your children’s toys and play areas, remove crusted baked on crud from your pots and pans, clean your jewelry safely.

The above uses all used the 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide.  THIS IS NOT INTENDED FOR INTERNAL USE.  I have also included wakeup-world’s paragraph of the grades of H2O2.  Please read and be informed about the different grades and the warnings included.

Grades of Hydrogen Peroxide

A) 3.5% Pharmaceutical Grade: This is the grade sold at your local drugstore or supermarket. This product is not recommended for internal use. It contains an assortment of stabilizers which shouldn’t be ingested. Various stabilizers include: acetanilide, phenol, sodium stanate and tertrasodium phosphate.

B) 6% Beautician Grade: This is used in beauty shops to color hair and is not recommended for internal use.

C) 30% Reagent Grade: This is used for various scientific experimentation and also contains stabilizers. It is also not for internal use.

D) 30% to 32% Electronic Grade: This is used to clean electronic parts and not for internal use.

E) 35% Technical Grade: This is a more concentrated product than the Reagent Grade and differs slightly in that phosphorus is added to help neutralize any chlorine from the water used to dilute it.

F) 35% Food Grade: This is used in the production of foods like cheese, eggs, and whey-containing products. It is also sprayed on the foil lining of aseptic packages containing fruit juices and milk products. THIS IS THE ONLY GRADE RECOMMENDED FOR INTERNAL USE.

G) 90%: This is used as an oxygen source for rocket fuel.

Only 35% Food Grade hydrogen peroxide is recommended for internal use. At this concentration, however, hydrogen peroxide is a very strong oxidizer and if not diluted, it can be extremely dangerous or even fatal. Any concentrations over 10% can cause neurological reactions and damage to the upper gastrointestinal tract. There have been two known fatalities in children who ingested 27% and 40% concentrations of H202. Another reports tells of a 26 month old female who swallowed one mouthful of 35% H202. She immediately began vomiting, followed by fainting and respiratory arrest. Fortunately, she was under emergency room care and although she experienced erosion and bleeding of the stomach and esophagus, she survived the incident. When she was re-examined 12 days later, the areas involved had healed (J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 90;28(1):95-100).

Personal note:  As with ANY food, drug, or supplement, using the product according to instructions is key to safety.  If someone uses too much, then of course ramifications may be felt.  We’ve NEVER heard of ANY harmful side effects from the correct usage of Food Grade hydrogen peroxide.








About Marilyn

I am a "retired senior" (I've been a school librarian and library tech for a government research facility) who is now pursuing a dream of a home business sewing bags of all sorts, crafting and being the creative person I have always wanted to be. I grew up in the center of Illinois and dreamed of actually living back in the state of Colorado where I was born and lived till the age of 7. That dream came true when I met my husband of 43 years while working together in Estes Park. I am interested in alternative medicine, continuing the good health I've always had, while returning to the pre-processed food era of: eating well, losing weight, and using products that do not harm the environment, me, my family and friends. I am for labeling GMO’s, using sustainable products, organics and finding solutions to everyday problems, like colds and sore muscles, using natural remedies. I have a positive attitude that has helped through a very hard year and will bring forth a life that will be full and happy. My family is wonderful and I am a happy lady, wife, mother, and grandma.

Leave a Reply