I get daily emails from HSI (Health Science Institute). Last week the communicator in the emails to subscribers talked about wheat grass. She talked about how wheat grass can get rid of your gray hair. My children (who are adults) are bemoaning their gray hair. So I was intrigued. I wanted to know if I could confirm this or not.
Hippocratesinst.org has a huge, huge list of the advantages of wheat grass. Here are some of the pros of eating raw wheat grass:
- Increases red blood-cell count and lowers blood pressure.
- Stimulates the thyroid gland, correcting obesity, indigestion, and a host of other complaints.
- Restores alkalinity to the blood. The juice’s abundance of alkaline minerals helps reduce over-acidity in the blood. It can be used to relieve many internal pains, and has been used successfully to treat peptic ulcers, ulcerative colitis, constipation, diarrhea, and other complaints of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Is a powerful detoxifier, and liver and blood protector.
- Fights tumors and neutralizes toxins. Recent studies show that wheatgrass juice has a powerful ability to fight tumors without the usual toxicity of drugs that also inhibit cell-destroying agents.
- Contains beneficial enzymes.
- Externally applied to the skin can help eliminate itching almost immediately.
- Will soothe sunburned skin and act as a disinfectant. Rubbed into the scalp before a shampoo, it will help mend damaged hair and alleviate itchy, scaly, scalp conditions.
- Is soothing and healing for cuts, burns, scrapes, rashes, poison ivy, athlete’s foot, insect bites, boils, sores, open ulcers, tumors, and so on.
- Works as a sleep aide. Merely place a tray of living wheat grass near the head of your bed. It will enhance the oxygen in the air and generate healthful negative ions to help you sleep more soundly.
- Neutralizes toxic substances like cadmium, nicotine, strontium, mercury, and polyvinyl chloride.
- Turns gray hair to its natural color again and greatly increases energy levels when consumed daily.
- Is a beauty treatment that slows down the aging process when the juice is consumed. Wheatgrass will cleanse your blood and help rejuvenate aging cells, slowing the aging process way down, making you feel more alive right away. It will help tighten loose and sagging skin.
- Lessens the effects of radiation. One enzyme found in wheatgrass, SOD, lessens the effects of radiation and acts as an anti-inflammatory compound that may prevent cellular damage following heart attacks or exposure to irritants.
- Restores fertility and promotes youthfulness.
- Can double your red blood cell count just by soaking in it. Renowned nutritionist Dr. Bernard Jensen found that no other blood builders are superior to green juices and wheatgrass. In his book “Health Magic Through Chlorophyll” he mentions several cases where he was able to double the red blood cell count in a matter of days merely by having patients soak in a chlorophyll-water bath. Blood building results occur even more rapidly when patients drink green juices and wheatgrass regularly.
Wow!!, and that is just some of the list. After each sentence I copied above was a further explanation. Wheat grass is quite the plant to have on hand. There are detractors though, mostly from traditional medicine websites. Brent A. Bauer, M.D., Mayo Clinic says there have not been enough scientific studies to support the above claims. He does state, Wheat grass is generally considered safe. It may cause nausea, headaches, hives or swelling of your throat. He also warns if you are gluten intolerant that you consult your doctor. I do not have a very high opinion of traditional doctors, because they caution us about using a natural plant, but will prescribe toxic drugs that do terrible, terrible things to our bodies and health. Studies are probably not pursued to substantiate to satisfy the traditional medical community, because it is not in the best interest to Big Pharma to have a lowly plant clean out the toxic stew of their medicines. WebMD was so negative, I did not even bother to read beyond a few sentences.
Judd Handler, also does not think much of wheat grass. http://www.mnn.com/health/
I do not know if I will use wheat grass, but there were other very pro sites on the use of wheat grass for great benefits. They also said it can turn your gray hair back to its natural color. Also, the below website gives you a very good guide on using wheat grass. Please visit the following:
Wheat grass is one of the most potently healthy substances on earth. Yet for some reason it is still not mainstream – even though there are thousands of wheat grass benefits that are so clear and felt so quickly. They recommend, “Sweet Wheat: This is the original and probably the best organic freeze dried wheat grass powder on the market. The best wheat grass powder benefit is that it contains ONLY the juice and provides an extraordinary balance of all the vital nutrients and minerals the body can use. One teaspoon of Sweet Wheat is roughly equivalent to one to two ounces a fresh wheat grass shot. One ounce of wheat grass juice equals the nutritional equivalent of 1.5 pounds of organic vegetables.”