There are four aspects to your direction. The saying goes, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions”, but, like most axioms, it is flawed. It should read: “The road to hell is paved with false intentions”. A true intent takes four things into consideration:
- Your beliefs
- Your reality
- Your perceptions
- Your thoughts
A good intention cannot be “true” in the absence or misalignment of any of these. And they are all connected, infinitely:
- Your Beliefs determine your Reality.
- Your Reality determines your Perceptions.
- Your Perceptions determine your Thoughts.
- Your Thoughts determine your Beliefs.
- Your Beliefs, Reality, Perceptions and Thoughts determine your outcome.
Your Paths are what build your life for good or ill. The activity in your brain is always creating the world around you. Thus:
- You are the reason for everything in your life.
Let’s explore the Path.
- Your Beliefs determine your Reality. What you believe in is powerful. It doesn’t matter what your beliefs are, they define your situation and results. What you believe is what is ultimately possible for you. If you believe that money is evil, you will never have a lot of it. You won’t attract it to you. You will push it away. You will sabotage yourself. If you believe wealth can be liberating, then your wealth will free you. If you believe that you will struggle to gain money, then you will struggle. In short, you can only do what you believe is possible.
- Your Reality determines your Perceptions. The events and challenges in your experience color the way you look at things. If you had an idyllic childhood filled with love and support, then you will see the world in a much more positive light than someone coming from an abusive or neglectful childhood, who is bound to see many more shadows with monsters lurking in them. As we will soon examine, perceptions are a doorway to what you expect in life. Your reality will inevitably support your perceptions, thus reinforcing them and turning them into thoughts and beliefs.
- Your Perceptions determine your Thoughts. The way you view things influences what your thoughts are in any situation. If you view life as difficult, then you will think yourself out of learning anything to the contrary. I once attended a parenting class for divorcing parents. You could tell which people perceived this to be a pointless class. They brought up every exception to what was being taught. Their thoughts would not process anything that countered their belief that their situation was untenable. A good place to start changing your life is to change the way you perceive the little things in your life.
- Your Thoughts determine your Beliefs. The thoughts that are prominent the longest become your belief structure. If you have continuous thoughts that you are a good, intelligent, beautiful strong person that can accomplish anything, then that will become your belief. If you think the contrary, then that also becomes your belief. Your thoughts are also powerful in a continued, immediate manner. We all have heard Descartes’ statement “I think, therefore I am”. This is incredibly true, but not necessarily how he meant it. If you read his statement as “I am what I think”, it becomes the ultimate personal truth.
- Your Beliefs, Perceptions, Thoughts and Reality determine your outcome.If one of these things contradicts any other part, then you thwart your intent. If your intention goes against what you believe is possible, perceive as good, think is worthwhile, then your intention becomes impossible. The path connected puts you in line to accomplish your intention. So let’s look at it a new way:
- If you change your Perceptions, you will change your Thoughts.
- If you change your Thoughts, you will change your Beliefs.
- If you change your Beliefs, you will change your Reality.
- If you change your Reality, you will change your Perceptions.
If you change just one of these, then the rest will flow. Start with how you perceive things. Start with the little things: pet peeves, how you react, what irritates you. You’ll get there eventually. Make a game out of it. If it’s fun, then you will be more likely to want to do it. See how many things you can look at differently in the next hour. The changes that you will inspire in yourself and in your life are very worth it. It’s worth loving yourself, others and your life just a little more. One step at a time and you will see your whole reality adjust to support your new beliefs.
Be the miracle you were meant to be!